Our Fallen Brother
It is with great sadness we announce that former Village of Cayuga Heights Mayor and life member of the Cayuga Heights Fire Department Ron Anderson passed away on Sunday, May 5th.
Ron was a tireless supporter of the fire department and was instrumental in the planning and development of the Ron Anderson Fire Station. His dedication and love for the Village of Cayuga Heights and the Cayuga Heights Fire Department will never be forgotten. His actions and leadership helped make the department what it is today.
Rest in Peace Ron.
We have been in contact with Ron's family and have offered our support. The family stated that there will be a memorial service for Ron at a later date. As details become available we will ensure the information is passed along.
The Scholar Firefighter
CHFD: As Seen on TV
In addition to proudly serving our community, the Cayuga Heights Fire Department is also on the vanguard to make fighting blazes safer for firefighters everywhere
Find out more from this Discovery Channel clip
Crumpets with your tea, Guvnor?
Congratulations to Christopher "Kit" Dobyns for being awarded a prestigious Rhodes Scholarship. Kit was a member of the Cayuga Heights Fire Company and recently graduated from Cornell University with honors
He will begin an exciting new chapter of his life next October at Oxford University
Stay up to date
8/10/12: Rollover in Lansing
At 11:06AM, CHFD got requested for mutual aid by Lansing to the Route 13 southbound entrance ramp on N. Triphammer Rd.
Engine 202, Rescue 241, and Chief 262 responded to assist Lansing for a rollover MVA with an entrapped victim. 202 arrived on scene to find a vehicle on its roof with a passenger still inside. After securing the area, firefighters and EMTs assisted by Bangs extricated the patient.
In addition to CHFD, responding agencies included the Lansing FD, Bangs Ambulance, and law enforcement.
7/16/12: Dryer Fire at Cornell's Hasbrouck Apts
At 9:28pm CHFD was dispatched to Cornell's Hasbrouck Apartments at 121 Pleasant Grove Rd for a fire alarm activation.
A caller witnessed fire coming from a dryer with flames going up the wall. Cornell's Emergency Response Unit 2418 was on location to confirm the dryer fire and contained the incident with a dry chem extinguisher. Minutes after being assigned the call, Engine 202 responded with a fully-staffed crew, shortly followed by a fully-staffed Ladder 231. Chief 264 established initial command. CHFD arrived on scene to investigate for an extension of the fire with a Thermal Imaging Camera (TIC) and conducted overhaul. No malicious activity was suspected. Utilities were secured by 2418 with maintenance on scene. After transferring command to CUPD and 2418, all CHFD units returned in-service.
CHFD sent 16 firefighters to the scene. Responding units from CHFD included: Asst Chief 264, Engine 202, Ladder Truck 231, and Engine 203
Responding agencies also included Cornell's EH&S 2418 and CUPD
At 0110, CHFD was requested as mutual aid to Lansing at 134 Graham Road for an apartment fire with entrapment.
As the first unit on scene, 264 established initial command and confirmed a fire in a first-floor apartment at the apartment complex. No entrapment was present in the apartment that was on fire; however, six residents in two separate apartments were unable to escape due to heavy smoke.
Within three minutes of dispatch, a fully-staffed 202 arrived and established water supply. 202's interior crew entered the apartment and quickly extinguished the fire that was confined to the first-floor apartment's kitchen. 231 arrived shortly after 202 and set its aerial device to the third-floor, bringing a family of three to safety. A second crew from 231 went to the rear of the complex with a ladder and brought another family of three to safety.
Responding agencies also included the Lansing Fire Department, the Ithaca Fire Department, Bangs Ambulance, Tompkins County Sheriff, and the New York State Police. On scene operations lasted for just over an hour.
At 0220, CHFD was requested as mutual aid to Lansing at 41 Dutch Mill Road, MLP Inc., for a building filling with smoke. 262 arrived and, along with Lansing 1167, found an industrial manufacturing plant and warehouse with smoke and fire visible from the exterior.
Responding with a full, interior crew, 202 was the first due engine and was charged with establishing water supply and engaging in the initial fire attack of the building. 231 arrived, set its aerial device to the roof, and cut a hole for ventilation. 203 and 241 also responded, bringing rehab supplies and additional CHFD manpower to the scene. A total of sixteen CHFD firefighters responded. On scene operations lasted until 0453 for a total of approximately two-and-a-half hours.
Responding agencies also included Bangs Ambulance and the Ithaca Fire Department.
On Monday and Tuesday, the 21st and 22nd of November, CHFD saw two MVCs in the upper portion of the district.
At 1630 on the 21st, CHFD was dispatched to the 200 block of Warren Road for a rollover with entrapment. 202 and 241 responded w full crews to find a 'SMART car' on its side in a ditch at the entrance to Cornell University's Moakley House. Upon arrival, the patient had been extricated and was in the care of CUEMS. CHFD stabilized the vehicle and assisted with patient care and hazard control. Warren Road, between Forest Home Drive and Hanshaw Road, was closed by CHFD for the duration of the incident. On-scene operations lasted for twenty minutes.
At 0914 on the 22nd, CHFD was dispatched to the 300 block of Winthrop Drive for a car vs. tree with entrapment. 202 and 241 responded with a crew of seven. Upon arrival, units found one vehicle into a tree with approximately one foot of intrusion into the passenger compartment of the vehicle. After removing the vehicle's roof, the patient was successfully extricated and tranported to the hospital by Bangs Ambulance. CHFD cleared the incident at 1016 with on-scene operations lasting forty minutes.
Click on the images to enlarge them.
At 0855 on September 16th, CHFD was requested mutual-aid into the Village of Lansing for a truck fire at the mall. Upon arrival, units found a fully involved, working tractor trailer fire in the loading dock of Best Buy.
CHFD, responding with Engines 202 and 203 and a crew of ten, assisted Lansing Fire in the extinguishing of the fire. The fire was contained to the cab of the truck without extension or damage to the trailer or load. On scene operations lasted forty minutes.
A video of the incident was captured by a bystander and posted on youtube:
Truck fire at the Ithaca Mall